Saturday, April 28, 2007

My China Trip

I never thought I would do this, but I am going to China with my sisters. I don't know which is more bizarre - that I am going to China or that I'm travelling with my sisters :)
Well, my sisters have travelled together before and I must admit that they have travelled to more places than me. This is the first time, however, that I will be travelling with 3 of my sisters. Usually, Mena takes the lead in cases like this, but this time the job of organising the trip has become mine. I feel quite anxious at times because the responsibility of ensuring that the 6 of us have a good time seems quite huge. The group includes Su's friend Renee and Indra's friend as well, so there will be 6 of us setting off to see the Great Wall in Oct.
I have been hounding a few travel agents and have come up with the following itinerary, but nothing is confirmed yet so you will have to wait for more details. As it stands we will probably be leaving on 18 Oct.
Proposed Itinerary
  • Day 1 - Shanghai. Arrive & transfer hotel
  • Day 2 - Tour Shanghai - Bund etc
  • Day 3 - Flight from Shanghai to Tunxi. Stay over downtown.
  • Day 4 - Mt Huangshan. Take cable car up the scenic mountain and spend the night up there.
  • Day 5 - Back to Tunxi then on to Shanghai. Flight from Shanghai to Chongqin & board ship for cruise down the Yangtze.
  • Day 6 to 8 - On board the Yangtze Cruise
  • Day 9 - Yangtze cruise arrives at Yinchang. Visit famous Gezhou Dam. Fly to Xian.
  • Day 10 - Tour Xian - Terra Cotta Warriors Museum, City Wall, Big Pagoda etc
  • Day 11- Flight from Xian to to Beijing. Transfer to hotel. Visit Tianamen Square, Forbidden City, Summer palace
  • Day 12 - Visit the Great Wall and Ming tombs.
  • Day 13 - Transfer to airport for flight home.

That is the plan so far. Now it is a matter of seeing what extras can be thrown in. It's quite fun to see the trip taking shape :)

2 comments:

Ivan Chew said...

The Great Wall is worth the trip. My wife and I walked the Great Wall at Juyong Guan, and almost didn't complete it. Our tour guide said many tourists underestimate the effort it could take to walk up the steps, and tended not to complete the walk. My wife and I struggled initially, but we took our time and we were glad we preserved. There isn't much to see on the wall in that sense. I thought it was more of a sense of self-awareness and wonder at the kind of effort it took to build something like that. You might want to start building up your strength and stamina for the Great Wall, just in case :)

vara said...

Oh wow! I haven't thought about the physical aspect of it! Thanks Ivan. I'm wondering if my sisters can make it - since at 50 I am the youngest of the group! Ha ha.

Hey notice I have made progress with my blog? I'm very proud of myself - though of course my blog is no where as informative as yours yet!