Friday, April 20, 2012

Strange Me

Come tomorrow, we would have been in our rented flat for 2 weeks already! I still am not familiar with the neighbourhood and have told myself that this weekend, I must make an effort to walk around.

I have adjusted in some ways and yet to adjust in other ways. I still find the flat too small and there are other things that irk me - the shower is a trickle, my bed is flat against the wall and I don't like climbing over the bed to get into it, there is no place to hang the laundry and it sits propped up on bamboo poles in the middle of the kitchen.

What has surprised me, however, is how I have grown to like my long morning commute! It takes me an hour to get from the flat to my workplace, but I am invariably able to get a seat on the bus, and I have time to think. It is a pleasant journey as the bus meanders through Kallang, Beach Road, Shenton Way and past Vivo City till it arrives at Alexandra Road. I find it a soothing, reflective start to my day. I read my Bible on my iPad, I meditate (I confess I once fell asleep), I pray, I think about my work and generally arrive at work in a benign mood. I realised this only today, when I got a ride to work. You see, I had to have a conversation! That was it! I couldn't be myself with my own thoughts. And I arrived at work snappy and edgy.

How strange I am. I wonder if I will become an eccentric old lady, living alone with the curtains drawn and the door padlocked. Maybe I will shout at people who knock on my door and have no friends. What a terrifying thought :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hehe. I love reading your posts :)

vara said...

Hah! Sounds like Angel. Is that you?