Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Displaced

I don't quite know where the last two weeks went. Since I last blogged, C came, we packed and moved and unpacked and finally I have internet access again. All because I decided to embark on renovation of my flat. 

We moved into our flat in 1998, when R was 8 and J was 12. They have long outgrown their rooms and no longer love the purple, yellow and green hues of their rooms :) The cupboards have been bulging and as I climbed in and out of it daily, I had begun to deeply regret the bathtub I had installed when I was a sprightly 40 year old ;) So the decision was made. 

Almost every evening for the past few weeks we have been de-cluttering the flat and I marvel at just how much I had accumulated over 14 years! Because the renovations will be extensive, we have had to move out into a temporary rental flat which is across the island in Aljunied. The flat is tiny compared to ours and I obsessed many nights over whether our stuff would even fit into the flat. 

Moving day (on Sat) was stressful but my part-time helper Jona was a wizard who came on Sun morning with her friend and set the whole place in order in a matter of hours! I missed Easter service which made me very sad, but there was so much to be done to make the flat livable.

So it has been 3 days since we moved in now and we have all established a delicate ecosystem of living. C has been such a blessing, pitching in to help unhesitatingly, and invariably cheerful no matter how trying the situation! It has been an eventful few weeks; we are in a neighbourhood I have never even visited, learning new routes to work, figuring out where the shops are. In a way, C and all of us are on even ground; we are all learning about this new place. Much as I regretted it on Sat, come Tues I am beginning to think things aren't too bad!

No comments: