Thursday, May 20, 2010

When the Lights Come Up

I just read this post on a blog I follow and it got me thinking...

"A situation on the plane ride home got me thinking. I sat on the aisle seat next to a guy about my age and in the window seat was a pretty gal about my age too. The two of them were talking--I wouldn't say flirting--but talking. The girl was definitely a sweet, friendly girl. When we landed and the lights came on, I could see things more clearly. The girl in the window seat had a huge rock on her ring finger on left hand! Yes, she was either engaged or married. And I wondered...would that girl's fiance or husband be happy if he was an observer of his woman's conduct on her plane trip. No she didn't technically do anything wrong--she could argue that she wasn't flirting.

But I began to think--asile lady's conduct was on the edge, toying with the line of too friendly--too friendly for the status of engaged or married. And not to impose something spiritual on a simple story...but I thought to myself. I have a status as well--I am engaged, betrothed to the king of the universe. Does my conduct demonstrate that status. Or am I flirting with the line of being too familiar, too friendly with the world? Is God cringing at my conversation with the guy next to me on my proverbial "plane?"


Even this evening I can think of a conversation I had that probably made God cringe. It is too easy to forget that I am Christ's Betrothed. When the lights come up, would my unseen behaviour, unspoken thoughts and unheard words shame me or stand up to God's scrutiny?

No comments: