Thursday, May 20, 2010

A Good Week

After I stopped trying to do new things (my failed experiment) it turns out I did do somethings new after all... On Tuesday, we had a Car Rally organised as a bonding activity for my division and I went to parts of Singapore that I had not seen. And yesterday I went to the Asian Civilisations Museum on my own in the evening and surprisingly enjoyed wandering around the exhibits quite a bit.

This week is our Public Service Week. This is an annual event that encourages us civil servants to think about our jobs, find meaning in what we do and also build better ties. The Car Rally on Tues was organised to commemorate CPDD Day. 5 of us piled into my colleague Flo's car and went in search of clues from Waterloo Street to Bussorah Street to Onan Road in the east before heading out to west to Hort Park and back to MOE.

This is my team... Mental note to self - NEVER stand next to Flo :)



Some of the highlights were:
  • eating ice cream within 1 minute - ouch my teeth hurt.
  • discovering that the base of the golden dome of the Arab Street mosque was made of soya suace bottles!
  • trying and miserably failing to play 'chatek' (if my sister-in-law had been on our team, we would have aced it!)
  • trying to decipher the answers to inane, ridiculous clues such as "what house?" (huh?) and "where is love?" - definitely the most frustrating bit for me!
  • having to eat piping hot and mouth-searingly, tongue-numbingly chilli paste saturated curry puffs within 5 minutes. This was easily the most tortourous activity for me
Note: this pic was taken BEFORE we bit into the puff!



As part of PS Week, we are also encouraged to go on Learning Journeys and I chose to go to the ACM yesterday and I will be going to Fusionopolis tomorrow (no prizes for guessing why). Although there were many intriguing exhibits I decided to start with the special exhibition 'Treasury of the World' as the exhibition is scheduled to end in June. I thought I would have time to see the rest after that, but the bejewelled exhibits were so beautiful I hardly noticed 2 hours passing. If my bag had not been so heavy, I would have stayed till the museum closed at 7pm.

It has been a good week. I feel my world has been widened, my soul stretched.

No comments: