Tuesday, May 18, 2010

No More Rescuing!

Yesterday I read this passage in the book 'Bird by Bird' by Anne Lamott that described my life and gave me great advice:

"My Alcoholic Anonymous friend told me about the frazzled, defeated wife of an alcoholic man who kept passing out on the front lawn in the middle of the night. The wife kept dragging him in before dawn so that the neighbours wouldn't see him, until finally an old black woman from the South came up to her one day after a meeting and said, "Honey? Leave him lay where Jesus flang him."

And you know what, I have finally done that.

1 comment:

judith said...

Most people stare at me like I'm dysfunctional when I tell them, my main way to stay married and SANE is to smile and nod.Smile and Nod. At some point, the man will figure it out himself - and hopefully drag himself in the front door without any help from me.