Saturday, June 02, 2012

Back Home

Does anyone still read this blog I wonder. I knew it has been a while since I last wrote but I surprised myself when I realised that I hadn't written in a month!

It has been a tough two months. The renovations are finally done and we are back home. Most of the boxes have been unpacked and the new smell of paint and varnish is slowly dissipating. It feels like home but doesn't look like home - and that feeling takes some getting used to. We have had to make do without a sofa for a week - it finally arrived this evening - and we are still without a dining table and study tables in the girls' rooms. The project gulped down more than I had budgetted and I feel a pang of anxiety every time I look at my bank account. 

In many ways the house has turned out as I had imagined it. I promised myself two luxuries - a rain shower and a reading nook. I managed to get the first one fixed but the second wish will have to wait till other necessities (such as the above-mentioned dining table) are in place. Some things have turned out to be heartaches. My interior designer seems to fail in getting accurate measurements done. That seems a little like saying my tailor seems to fail in cutting in a straight line, but that has indeed been a repeated failure. As a result, the microwave oven doesn't quite sit snugly in its shelf, the vanity counter he made for my bathroom was too big and we had to move it to the kitchen instead, but worst of all, I can't open my wardrobe doors because he didn't get the measurement of my bed right :) He also built a platform I asked for a bit too high and as a result I have to fix window grilles lest someone falls out of the windows that have now become dangerously low. Sigh.

So my renovation saga isn't over. There are still things to fix and furniture to buy; cartons to be unpacked and clothes to be put away. But it feels good to be home.

No comments: