Saturday, August 28, 2010

Man Watching

The title startled you I know :) But I have been man-watching, yes. Not in the same way that young girls man-watch. But watching to assess, to see for myself what I value. And I realise I have changed much.

When I was younger it was physical attractiveness that caught my eye. When I was a teenager, I once said something unforgiveable. My sister had a colleague who I admired a great deal. She was tall and beautiful, she dressed well and spoke with such confidence. I was an awkward, overweight teenager and I worshipped the ground she walked on, and very smitten by the fact that she was so nice to me. She did not get married for a long time and then one day she brought her fiance to our home and introduced him to us. He was clearly much older than her, overweight and balding. I actually became really, really upset. I ran into my room and was very angry with both her and him. She came in to say goodbye and to invite me to the wedding and I blurted out at her - "He looks like a monkey. You can't marry him. He is so old and ugly." To this day, I don't quite understand what made me say that. My sister shushed me and apologised profusely but I shamefacedly remember how gracious that lady was. She brushed aside my sister's embarrassment and said to me, "One day you will understand that he is a good man." It took me a long while to grow up enough to understand her words.

Now I realise I don't look at men who are dashing. The men who make me smile today are different. I like to watch men who carry their babies; men who sit in cafes and are lost in their books; old men who hold their old wives' hands; men who pray with their wives and children; men who celebrate their women; men whose eyes laugh. Blessed are the women who have found them.

5 comments:

myz said...

'old men who hold their old wives' hands; men who pray with their wives and children; men who celebrate their women; men whose eyes laugh. Blessed are the women who have found them.'
it is this thought that breaks me every time - the thought of a chance lost ...as i read this bit of your blog my eyes have not stopped watering..
ah well then i read ecc 3:1-8 and the one on strength ...Yes Lord!!
xxx

vara said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
vara said...

I'm sorry my post upset you :( But yes, God is the strength of your heart :)

Anonymous said...

if there was a blogspot button for "Like", i would have clicked on it.

vara said...

Thank you 'Anonymous' :) I wish you had left your name :) Obviously someone familiar with FB, but there my sleuthing abilities end :)Thanks anyway - I love having comments from readers.