Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Bonding in Bintan

I know I have been to Bintan too many times when the receptionist at the hotel recognises me and says "Welcome back ibu" :) It is true. They should offer me Frequent Visitor status.

I was back at Bintan on National Day, with old friends. I read somewhere once, that it takes a long time to grow an old friend. And that is how we got here, my friends and I. Over a long time. We all used to teach together in my beloved school, Jurong Institute, which sadly, no longer exists. I am very glad our friendship has survived beyond our workplace :) Hey, we need a name!

It was a brief (but intense) 2D1N holiday as Bintan is only an hour away by ferry. It being National Day, the ferry operator actually distributed little Singapore flags to all the children on board. The sad fact was that none of the children seemed excited about these flags they were given. Even sadder was the fact that WE got really excited when we saw the flags being distributed, but got none :)



The absolutely first thing we did was to get a massage (of course) and foot reflexology while waiting for our villa to be ready. And once again, dear Shamala proves that she is an, ahem, "technical wizard" by getting her finger into the view finder... :)



I would say we walked along the beach as after all, we were on an island...



but this is where we really wanted to get to... Yes, my friends, you KNOW this is true ;)



I would say we swam in the pool, but again, with the exception of Mini, this is all we wanted to do...



So, hey, it was a GREAT holiday. In no order of importance, the highlights of our holiday were
  • fantastic, honest conversations
  • great massages
  • 'silky tresses' from the hair spa :)
  • the end of 'teetotaller' status for one :)
  • Tamil songs especially "athi thai thai thai (sic)" and ""sentamizhnattu tamizhichiye" :)
  • lots of laughter
  • reciting the pledge at 8.10pm :)
  • pseudo dieting :)
  • 'Sex and the City' - oh, ever mine, ever thine, ever ours... hahahaha...
  • pigging out at buffet breakfast
  • jacuzzi :)
  • great conversations - oops, have I said that already? Never mind, it is worth repeating :)
I had fun. I know you did too :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Vara
what do you mean 'technical wizard'in quotation marks :)
-Yes I did have a wonderful time with all you ladies. Thank you for this friendship. It has helped me grow.
Love shamala

vara said...

What do I mean??? Your finger appears at the top of every photo you took! How could I leave the quotation marks out? :)