Tuesday, November 04, 2008

How is My Hand?

Attended a talk on 'Ecclesiastes' on Sunday and the speaker gave an illustration that made me think. He said we need to go through life with open palms and not clenched fists. We usually think of clenched fists as being stronger, because you think of boxing, the force of hitting something with a clenched fist. An open palm, on the other hand, is a sign of surrender and weakness. But, he went on to say, it is the open palm that is stronger - for you cannot carry anything with clenched fists. It is open palms that can carry, lift a heavy box, for example.
To me, a clenched fist also suggests closed-ness, a refusal to admit vulnerability, hoarding, a refusal to let go. Made me think - what hands do I have? Am I going through life with clenched fists? Refusing to let go, hoarding, refusing to be vulnerable? Or do I have open palms? Have I given, have I admitted my weaknesses, have I surrendered? I don't know.

2 comments:

tzmatthew said...

in fact, clenched fists are often weaker than open palms, because there are a lot of small bones in the back of the hand that will be crushed easily by impact.

open palms, jabbing with the base of the hand, is usually recommended for fighting on the street because your opponent feels the blows and your hands won't hurt..

so i guess there really isn't any advantage in clenching a fist is there? :P

vara said...

Hahaha.. so even in street fighting it is of no use? Time to unclench my fist then :) Nice to know you dropped by, Matthew :)