Wednesday, October 29, 2008

My Birthday Treat

I gave myself an early birthday treat on Saturday - I went to watch 'Brideshead Revisited' in Gold Class :) The Vivocity outlet of Golden Village had a special English Tea menu for the sneak preview of the movie so they served finger sandwiches, scones and apple crumble with ice cream and a choice of coffee or tea. It was great fun! I would never have thought of it if Maya hadn't taken me there before. But having gone once, I was instantly attracted when I saw the ad for the sneak preview.
So there I was, reclined in a plush chair with a nice blanket to keep me warm and food and coffee served inside the theatre. Bliss!! If I had not been so full I might have been tempted to try other food from the menu - you can even have a full meal in there. Of course you pay a price for it. My English Tea + Movie experience cost me $48.00. Yup, extravagant of me - 5 people could have watched a movie for that price. I guess it was just one of those impulsive decisions. But I had fun. It felt so decadent - of course it came no where close to the decadence of Sebastian and Charles in the movie - but I really enjoyed snuggling up under the blanket and drinking my coffee :)
And I was amazed that I had been so naive at 20. When I read the novel, I had NO idea that the relationship between Charles and Sebastian had all those gay undertones!!! It all makes sense to me now. Finally I understand why there was all that anguish and drama. I can't believe I was that naive, honestly :) Boy was it a re-visiting for me!! Overall, though I think I loved the setting of the movie more than I was engaged by the characters. Emma Thompson was very good - a regal presence, but the other characters did not impress. The house, on the other hand, sigh.... oh to live in a house like that. I don't blame Charles for being willing to sell himself to be a part of that lifestyle :)

No comments: