Sunday, October 12, 2008

Movies

D and I went to watch 'Mamma Mia' this evening. It was great fun! The ABBA tunes are very catchy - well, the lyrics are of course totally cheesy - and I can't help humming. If Jand R had been with me they would have been totally embarrassed because I had a mini 'quiet' karaoke session at the movie :) It so helped that the lyrics were flashed across the screen... hahahaha. Well, I guess on the moral barometer it doesn't rank high - 3 men and she doesn't know which one fathered her child (????) - but it was a sunny movie, the sort that made me want to dance. And boy, does Meryl Streep look good! I can't believe she is 62!!! There were obviously no creaking bones on THAT body! Coming as I am from a week of backache, the sheer energy she showed in the dance sequences and the jump on the bed - wow!
Well, it was definitely waaaaay better than the movie we watched last weekend - yes, I know, but hey, it's empty nest, remember? - where was I? Yes the movie we watched last week - 'My Magic'. Boy, if there was ever an overrated movie this must be it. I am aware I am no arty film critic but I am a film-goer and I've watched my fair share of movies and this one was CRAP!!! I have NO idea why the critics are falling over themselves praising this movie. And I find it totally incomprehensible that it should have been raved about at Cannes! It was a sentimental, melodramatic, pointless meandering story with banal dialogue. All my friends know how much I dislike Tamil movies, but I can honestly say that there are tons of Tamil movies that are better than My Magic. In fact, I think the director of the Tamil movie they showed on tv last night - Bheema - should send his film to Cannes with just taking out the song & dance scenes, because the storyline was tighter, the acting was better and the editing so much more consistent. My apologies for ranting, but I really can't stand it when people rave about a book or movie or play and then it becomes a case of the emperor's new clothes because people don't say it is lousy for fear of being thought, what? plebian? That's me, I guess :)

No comments: