Tuesday, September 07, 2010

The Right Thing

The quote for the day was this: "Success is simple. Do what's right, the right way, at the right time." (Arnold Glasgow) I wonder, though, is it simple? Sometimes it doesn't feel like I know what is the right thing to do. And I can't say I have always done things the right way. And I have my share of missed opportunities - times when I could have done the right thing but lacked the courage or will to.

I doubt I will ever reach a time or phase in life when I can say this is right for me at this point in time and I am doing it the way I want to. I would like to be able to say that. But that is not always possible for me. Yes, sometimes I don't do what is right for me because I think about the implications of my decision on others. Many times I have done what is right in a bull-headed way and negated the effect of my right action through the manner in which I did it. Once I was drawn into doing something wrong because I took the bait when my friend said "Do you always do what is right?" It seems incredibly stupid now but the knowledge I had done so many wrong things before consoled me into adding one more wrong action to my long list.

Sometimes, preachers make decisions look so easy. Do what the Bible says. Right is right in God's eyes. Wrong is wrong. But sometimes two decisions both look and feel right. Then what?

Then I need wisdom and discretion; then I need good friends' advice; then I need to tell myself "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make straight your paths." (Prov 3:5-6)

No comments: