Thursday, September 30, 2010

Getting a Root Canal

I spent an hour in the dentist's chair this morning. It was Part 2 of the root canal process that began 2 weeks ago. I expected to be done in 20 minutes like the last visit but this one was excruciatingly long. So my jaw hurts - from being propped open for so long and my back hurts from the enforced immobility. Towards the end of the procedure my mouth actually started quivering like an unused muscle would when subjected to prolonged tension. It has not been a pleasant morning.

While I was lying there with my molar being 'rooted', I had a lot of time to think.... I started out thinking about the work I should do, then I decided I would go through my prayer list :) And for the first time in a long while I actually finished praying for all on my list! Hahahahaha. So I think I will be better prepared at my next visit. I think I will download an audio bible to my iPhone and listen to a book while I am there. I thought about downloading songs but I realised that was not a good idea because the dentist had his radio on and when there was a particularly catchy song my feet started tapping the air and then I heard an exasperated "Don't move." Right. So no music.

This root canal job is costing me a tidy $2k, but my friend tells me it is a reasonable price, so I will not grumble too much. Sadly, sadly, I am beginning to feel a twinge of pain in my lower molar as well and I didn't like the way my dentist's eyes lit up above his mask when I mentioned it to him. Then I heard a muffled "One at a time, one at a time" and so I think the man has found a goldmine in my mouth...

No comments: