Monday, August 10, 2009

8:22pm on 9 August 2009

It was Singapore's 44th National Day on the 9th of August. I am an unashamed flag-waving patriot, causing much eye-rolling among my children and I'm sure one or both of you are going to groan that I am actually blogging about National Day :). Undeterred by my children, I am proud to say that I love Singapore, warts and all!!!

That there are many things I can find fault with I do not deny. But I don't think any country in the world is perfect. Each nation has its strengths and drawbacks. But sometimes I feel among all the countries I have visited (not many, I know), Singaporeans have a penchant for bashing their own nation more than people I have met elsewhere. The Americans and Australians, I think, are the proudest of their countries. A close second are Indians. But many of my fellow countrymen seem to shy away from taking pride in Singapore. Not only do we not speak well, we also respond with disparaging remarks when others comment positively about Singapore!

Recently, a Canadian wrote in to The Straits Times Forum page to say how much he appreciated Singapore and to chide Singaporeans for not having more pride in their country. The very next day a Singaporean wrote in with a long litany of woes, detailing all that he felt was great in Canada - social welfare and low housing cost being chief on his list - and opined that the Canadian didn't know how good he had it and by implication, how bad the Singaporeans had it. I was really glad that the Canadian writer did not take it lying down but replied with a feisty letter standing by all he had said about Singapore and pointing out some of the problems that he saw in Canada. Like I said, every country has its strengths and its weaknesses.

While I do admit that there are other places that I find attractive - like Melbourne - I do not feel a need to criticise Singapore or its government for what I perceive to be the lack of attractions like those that Melbourne offers. Singapore has been good to me. And I think it is this awareness, that if not for me coming to Singapore at 14, I would not have the life I have now, that keeps me grateful to this nation.

By coming to Singapore, instead of staying in Malaysia where I was born, I had access to an English education. This is something all our students take for granted, without ever wondering why so many children cross the Causeway daily from Malaysia and pay exorbitant fees to study in Singapore schools! If I had stayed in Malaysia I would have been taught in Malay and received an education that would not have been recognised anywhere else in the world. I would have had to fight against race quotas in universities and workplaces, I would have had to look for 'connections' or bribe to get ahead and I would have become fiercely protective of my race identity as so many of the Indians in Malaysia are. I would not be free to worship as I am now and I would have to send my children away at an early age or migrate to ensure that my children had a chance to get ahead in life. These are the realities in the country of my birth.

In Singapore, I succeeded purely on merit. The colour of my skin has not mattered. I can honestly say that in the past 38 years that I have lived here, I have not experienced racial discrimination. I have benefited from financial aid offered by the government both during my secondary school days as well as through my university days based solely on my academic performance. I have had opportunities to grow professionally in the civil service; I have raised a family in a government-subsidised house. I do not worry when I return home late after a night out with my friends; I do not worry when my girls are out with theirs. I am not worried about my old age as I have a government pension and medical benefits to see me through till the day I die.

Yes, the government does not give handouts to the poor. But the government does offer heavily subsidised skills training for those who are out of jobs, the government pays the fees of children from poor families, there are few homeless people sleeping on our streets, there are few beggars and if any they are foreigners out to make a quick buck. Education is the great social leveller and the government sends its social workers to ensure that every child of school-going age is in school.

Yes, it is true that this country has been run by the same political party since the day of its independence. Yes, it is true that the current Prime Minister is the son of our first Prime Minister. And yes, it is true we ban chewing gum, cane vandals and hang drug traffickers. Yes, it is true that homosexuals feel discriminated against because we have not repealed the law that says anal sex is a crime :) BUT it is also true that 85% of our people own their homes, have compulsory government savings they can use in their old age and are sure that if they fall ill, they will be seen by a doctor and admitted in hospital if necessary, on the same day.

When all is said and done, I think Singapore is a great place to live in and to bring up a family. And that is why when the call went out this year to collectively say the National Pledge at 08:22pm I decided I was going to join in, no matter how ridiculous it felt! So there we were at 08:22pm on the 9th of August 2009, taking the National Pledge with many other Singaporeans who felt strongly enough about this country we call home.

My personal favourite memory was when Chad, who was visiting from the US, decided he would stand with the rest of us too to honour the moment :) Yay!





We, the citizens of Singapore

Pledge ourselves as one united people

Regradless of race, language or religion

To build a democratic society

Based on justice and equality

So as to achieve

Happiness, Prosperity and Progress

For our nation!!!!

1 comment:

judith said...

Lol. So Jenani can actually touch him without your husband getting all bug-eyed and murderous?! Its a milestone I tell you. Even when we were engaged my father would stare daggers at poor Xavier if he sat too close to me.hahahaha.