Wednesday, September 12, 2007

My Love Languages

I have a new fascination for the 5 Love languages & if you haven't tried it yet, do go to the link below and take the quiz. It's fun and if, like me, you sometimes get frustrated with your husband or feel that no one cares about you, you might find that the answer is that the people around you have not been speaking your Love Language to you :)
You see, according to the author, Gary Chapman, each person has preferred love languages, that is, means by which he/she feels affirmed and loved. Chapman has identified 5 love languages – Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Physical Touch, Acts of Service and Giving Gifts. A person may have more than one love language.
Words of Affirmation = you feel loved when people tell you how much they appreciate you, compliment you or tell you you have done a good job. Words, words, words!!!
Quality Time = you feel appreciated when people make time to talk to you, have quality conversations not meaningless talk but about important & personal issues, when people do things with you like taking a long walk.
Physical Touch = you feel loved when people hug or kiss you, you like holding hands etc.
Giving Gifts = people buying stuff for you or making things for you make you feel loved. Some people like small gifts regularly, some people like big stuff but generally gifts make you feel appreciated.
So, I decided to find out my Love Language. Surfing the net, I found a number of quizzes that help you find out what your love language is and I found it pretty accurate for me. Yeah, so here is my profile below :)


When you do the quiz your highest score indicates your primary love language. Your second highest score indicates your secondary love language. The primary love language is the one that indicates what makes you feel loved the most. If two scores are identical, you are supposed to be ‘bilingual’, that is, two primary love languages are important to you. If the scores of the primary and secondary language are close (for example, 10 & 9), it also indicates both are important to you. Whatever a loved one does to express love in either of these languages will get emotional points with you. The highest possible score for any language is 12.

So Words of Affirmation and Quality Time are of equal importance to me and Physical Touch comes in quite close as well. But receiving gifts isn’t a very high priority for me. All you people out there trying to crack your heads trying to think of what to buy for me for my birthday can heave a sigh of relief. No, I won't cry :)

I found that having a clear picture of my primary & secondary love languages explains a lot of things. Chapman encourages us to think back over the past and ask "What have I most often requested from others?" In my case, I also asked myself what did I wish others had said or done. And I found that the answer lay within the scope of my primary & secondary love languages. I had been looking for love in all the wrong places! Hahahaha..

My results make sense to me because when people ask me what I would like for my birthday or what would they like me to buy when they go overseas, I never have anything to ask. If I like something I would rather go buy it myself and when others spend money on me I feel bad. But I love receiving cards and I have stacks of Teachers Day cards in boxes.

Hey if you are bored (or interested) go try the quiz. Details below. And you can borrow the book from me!


I feel loved when...

The Five Love Languages

My Primary Love Languages are probably Quality Time and Words of Affirmation

My Detailed Results:
Quality Time: 9
Words of Affirmation: 9
Physical Touch: 8
Acts of Service: 3
Receiving Gifts: 1

About this quiz

Unhappiness in relationships is often due to the fact that we speak different love languages. It can be helpful to know what language you speak and what language those around you speak.

Take the Quiz!
Check out the Book

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Vara, my highest was Acts of Service 9 followed by Quality Time and Words of Affirmation at 8. Last was Receiving gifts at 2 and physical touch was 3. Very interesting. :) neena

jennani said...

my highest was physical touch. i could have guessed that ;) i love hugs.