Friday, September 16, 2011

I Deserve It

J and I went away last weekend to Penang. I needed that break after all the days and nights of preparing for the Launch. Coming back to work on Tue I realised I was the only one who had taken a day off and had a break. The rest of the people in the office had turned up for work on Monday!

I felt a little guilty actually to see so many tired faces around me on Tues, but that feeling didn't last long. I am glad I planned ahead and took leave. I am glad I made arrangements to physically leave Singapore. Even though all J and I did was sleep, lie in bed, eat and watch tv desultorily, it still felt like I was a world away from work and that helped! 

There is something about hotels I absolutely love. Yes I know I have said it before, but hey! this is my blog so I can repeat myself! :) We stayed at a lovely hotel called Lone Pine. It is an old colonial building that has been turned into a hotel and the staff were among the friendliest I have ever met in hotels. Our first night was a bit of a disaster though because the hotel was the venue for a Chinese wedding and we had to endure the kaoaoke cacophany till 11pm because being an old colonial building the windows had louvre shutters instead of thick glass doors. Mercifully, our second night was quiet.

One of the perks of growing older, I think, is that I have learnt to enjoy the pleasures of life. Once I would have postponed taking leave till others took theirs. Once I would have thought long and hard about the wisdom of spending money and flying to Penang and staying in a hotel. But now, I know, I answer to noone but God and me.

No comments: