Thursday, June 03, 2010

My Solo Spa Holiday: Day 3



"The heavens declare the glory of God;
the skies proclaim the work of His hands..." (Ps 19:1)

These beautiful skies and towering mountain greeted us on Day 3 when we gathered again for an early morning hike to another waterfall - Nombor Empat (No. 4). The guide promised us that this one was bigger and the most beautiful of all. He also warned us that the climb was more difficult.

I was really buoyed up by my encounter with Waterfall No.2 and wasn't going to miss No. 4! My new found courage began to fail me quite soon because the path to this waterfall was indeed more treacherous than the day before. It had rained the previous night and the rocks were very slippery. My shoes had seen nothing more challenging than the floor of the aerobics room in MOE and the roads of Dover and I slipped, slid and slithered with abandon.

Our trekking group was severely reduced as many who had been to Waterfall No. 2 had decided one waterfall was all they needed to see. The going was the roughest I have tried. Footholds were cut into the rocky face but it was a steep descent and the makeshift bamboo handrail that kind souls had put in place did not extend along the whole trail. But again, as in the day before, I found many helping hands. A gentleman who had just arrived in Javana the night before, broke off a sturdy branch and offered it to me - "nak tongkat?" - and it literally was a life-saver. A Caucasian man who was behind me regaling me with stories of the years he had spent in Singapore assured me - "Don't look ahead at the rest of them. Just walk at your own pace. We aren't in any hurry..." and then when the going got tough he sidled past me and went ahead so he could lead me over the rough patches. The worst bit of the trek was when the footholds stopped and we had to walk sideways along a ledge of rock. That's when I wanted to turn right around and go back!

But I made it to Waterfall No. 4!!!



And though it looks like I am cavorting with strange men in these pictures, I assure you my dears, that these were just really, really kind strangers who encouraged me and guided me across the rocks to walk into the waterfall :) And it was a wonderful feeling!









I walked through that wall of water, not able to open my eyes, gasping from the sheer coldness and volume of water pouring down on me... and then in just a few heart-stopping seconds, I was on the other side of the fall ... and it was absolutely calm. Whenever I read again the words of God in Isaiah, "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you", this is the experience I will remember.

The other Singaporeans and I had decided not to risk being stuck in the return jam, so we left early before the rest of the guests checked out. So I had time only for one more massage and an aerobics class.



Isn't it a pretty room? No stuffy airconditioned room smelling of stale sweat. Just open windows and a lovely scenery to look at while exercising.

Well that ended the nicest part of the day, because things went downhill again after that. There was a traffic jam - not as bad as the one we were stuck in on Friday - but energy-sapping nevertheless. The Garuda flight I was on was delayed by an hour - and the only one in the boarding area who reacted to the announcement of the delay was ME....

It was 11.45pm by the time I got home on Sunday. It had been a tiring trip and that seems ironical when you consider the fact that it had been a spa retreat on a hill. But the aspects that had spoilt the trip - the traffic jam, the delayed flight - were not really the fault of the spa management and there was nothing they could have done about it. But I have no regrets. I learnt of a strength within me I did not know I had. And I rested in God's love.

No comments: