Sunday, June 20, 2010

Filling in the Missing Bits

Wow! Has it been 3 weeks already since I last posted? No wonder my teacher friends are moaning about the June holidays coming to an end! It seems like June just started!

Well, what has happened since my solo spa holiday? Two events stand out - the Pastoral Care Ministry Retreat that I went on and my Hong Kong escapade with my friends. I will post about my HK trip when I have got all the pics together since most of the pics involving me are in my friends' cameras :)

I went on a one day retreat organised by the Pastoral Care Ministry of my church. The theme was 'Dreamwork' - how we could make meaning of dreams, especially recurring ones. I admit I was quite sceptical before I started and it seemed like a strange theme for a church sponsored retreat. But I came away with new insights. Dream interpretation is solidly rooted in the Bible. The dreams of Jacob and Joseph, the dream interpretations done by Joseph and Daniel , the assurance that Joseph, the earthly father of Jesus, was given in a dream ,all point to the fact that God uses divine dreams to guide us and speak to us.

I had not paid much attention to this aspect of spiritual direction before and I found that the retreat expanded my sense of how God speaks to us. I also had the precious experience of having a dream that had haunted me for 4 years being interpreted. I had this dream sometime in 2006, and although 2 others had interpreted the dream for me, their explanations had not sat well with me. As the retreat director said, when the dream is interpreted as God's intended message for you, you would feel a 'tingle' - "the inner knowledge that something is true and on-the-case". At this retreat, I had the opportunity to try and unpack the dream for myself and felt this "tingle".

So this has been something I have been turning over in my mind... The retreat director said the dream might not have made sense at the time I dreamt it but that God sometimes gives us dreams that point the way and He reveals things in His time. And I think it is no coincidence that this dream makes sense to me only now. I admit, I am intrigued.

No comments: