Thursday, November 12, 2009

Somthing to Think About

"Nations, like individuals, languish when they only have uncritical lovers or unloving critics. "
"One paradox of the human condition is that the most logical point at which to undertake painful reform is in good times. The pain will be less then. But virtually no society, and especially no democratic society, can administer significant pain in good times. It takes a crisis to make change possible. Hence, there is a lot of wisdom in the principle, “never waste a ­crisis.”
- Kishore Mahbubani, Dean,LKY School of Public Policy, NUS.
Prof Mahbubani is a thinker I respect. This afternoon I will be attending a talk by him at my office and I am really looking forward to it. He is an old school gentleman and sometimes I wonder what would happen to Singapore when his generation of fearless speakers passes on.
Here are two articles Prof Mahbubani wrote that we have been asked to read as a preamble to his talk:

No comments: