Wednesday, June 10, 2009

It's Time for Change

I want to get back to teaching. I feel really sure of this. I have been thinking about it for a long time and I feel now is the time to do something about it. So I am going to apply to NIE (National Institute of Education) on Monday. Last year and early this year, there were two firm offers made but I wasn't in a position to move. But now I am and I'm wondering if the opportunity is still there...
There are many "but"s about it - chief among them being the sheer distance. Work is just a 10 minute bus ride away now and on days when I want time to unwind, I even walk home. NIE is at the end of the human universe..... It will take me an hour at least to get there as I don't drive. Then I am really comfortable where I am now and I can see myself doing this work till I retire. But there is an itch to get back into the classroom, a feeling that I am now working in a parallel universe and my place is really somewhere else.
I miss many things about teaching, but if I had to name one, it would be being part of the "AHA!" moment when students suddenly get it, when a difficult concept clicks and the student knows that he knows. That really is the best part of teaching. I miss that.

3 comments:

judith A(now X) said...

I think you should totally go back to teaching. I H.A.T.E.D school til I met you. ( After that, was just too scared not to go - esp. when u started attending the same church).I must say though, sometimes I would have the 'A-Ha' look..but it was quite quickly followed by the 'no.no. i still don't get it' look.

Anonymous said...

So the great grades you got for General Paper and Literature were.....???? And remember you reached your so-called pinnacle of success by getting to read Eng Lit at NUS???? HAH! There WERE some "Aha" moments back then.

judith said...

i thought the pinnacle of success was that I found a husband in NUS..no?Anyway, I just thank God everyday that I didn't have to do Chaucer. The guy writes like he was high on something.