Tuesday, April 15, 2008

I Googled Me!

I was browsing round my old entries today and chanced upon a comment left on one of my entries by my friend Mini who had randomly googled my name to see if I had “made my presence felt on www” and found my blog! I was both pleasantly surprised (to see that she had found my blog and to discover she too had a blog) and intrigued that I could be found by being googled!

So, I went and googled myself (when did that name of a search engine become a verb, I wonder) and lo and behold, there were all these comments left on my blog up there at the top of the google search list! So then I suddenly understood what Jennani meant when she said she didn’t want her blog to be discovered and read and why she subsequently first locked and then abandoned her blog altogether (sad, sad, sad).

I was at first startled to see my name listed as a google entry. I mean, I am so used to googling for authors, sources and readings that it didn’t strike me that a non-descript individual could be googled. But yes, I do have a presence on the world wide web… Woo hoo! Then I was amused – that the drivel I write and the trivia I blog about is floating around somewhere in cyber space to be retrieved by my anonymous readers. Of course I had always known that what I blog about would not remain private which is why I have a journal and a blog – uncensored and censored versions of my thought life! But somehow, seeing the entries pop up in response to a google search seems to give my words an importance and significance I had not considered. There was also the interesting side to it - I discovered that my dear Angel had enjoyed herself at my 50th birthday party and blogged about it – in a a secret blog I had not known about…. Aha! Caught you! :)


Well, all in, it was an interesting experience. And then I was quite intrigued and went on to google various combinations of my name… hahaha… talk about narcissicism. And I have since discovered a new destination that I now desperately want to go to one day… A beachfront hangout called Vara’s!!! It’s on Cook Islands and it looks really idyllic and I think if I ever have enough money to just have a get-away-from-it-all holiday, I will go just there! Imagine staying on a beach in a place named after me! How cool is that! You must go and take a look at it – and if by my 60th birthday I have not gone to holiday at Vara's, you must all pool money to send me there, ok!!! :)

No comments: