Friday, August 24, 2007

Turning 50

I’ve been surfing a lot recently, looking for articles and reflections of others who have turned 50. I am surprised to find myself doing this, wondering – why does this year seem so momentous for me compared to all the other birthdays I have had?

And I found the answer in one of the articles I read. At 50, you realise half your life is over. As the writer of this article put it, it makes you think: what has my life been like so far? What have I achieved? Has my life turned out the way I dreamt it would? Have I achieved all I set out to? And what about the years ahead? What legacy will I leave? How will I be remembered?

I am comforted to know that these questions occupy others as well. My feelings are not unique. Admittedly, most of the articles / books I have read have been written by Americans, but the thoughts and feelings of these women (and men) are remarkably close to mine. And I have been learning a lot about how to value my past and to anticipate the future.

So I have decided to write about these thoughts of mine and sorry, but I’m afraid that’s going to be the bulk of my blog postings from now on.I know 50 is too far away for you, my dears, but this is one stage I want to linger on & share. This is something I want to do and I hope that you will participate and leave me some comments along the way, or write on my tag board.

Well, the world is not going to see my 50th birthday like Oprah's and definitely no big party like Elton John's 60th with Bill Clinton on the guest list, but party I will :)

No comments: