Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Resuscitated by CPR!

I had a wonderful 3 days away with God by myself. I attended a Contemplative Prayer Retreat (CPR!) held at The Montfort Centre off Bukit Timah Road. I didn’t even know the place existed!

I kept asking myself before I went, whether I was ready for it? I imagined that this was the kind of thing that mature Christians who had walked with God for a long time, would do. I didn’t sign up until the last day (because I was secretly thinking that as there were limited places, maybe they might all be taken up…) but looking back, I think the place was reserved for me by God’s Hand – because everyone else at the Retreat had signed up with a friend and there was only one other person (bless you Karen) who had signed up alone. So of course there was room for me at the inn!

And of course, that was another worry for me – who would I be sharing a room with? How do I spend 2 nights with a stranger (not forgetting my famous snores that only my husband and daughters can sleep through…)? So many questions. Right till the morning before I left I was still debating whether I should go. The only reason I went was that I got little sympathy from all the ones I moaned to. Rubhi just rolled her eyes and said “MOMMM!” in an exasperated way, Cecelia laughed at me and was amazed that I had never shared a room with a stranger and wise Mary said “Just show up. That’s all God asks.” And so, show up I did and guess what? God showed up too!!!

I had forgotten how sweet it is to heed God’s call to “Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest” (Mark6:31). I had last gone on a contemplative retreat in 1994! It was a one day retreat led by Joyce Hugget when I was still with MCI. I had forgotten how close to God I had felt then. So this time at the retreat felt like a reunion, a re-discovery of the times I used to spend just being silent with God.

So, I am back. Feeling loved. Assured that I am forgiven. Resuscitated by CPR.

No comments: