Friday, November 10, 2006

Going to Laos

I took a DEEEEP breath and said yes. Yes I will go to Vientiane, Laos with the small team that is going on 10 Dec. My first short-term mission trip....

I'm still full of misgivings. Chief concern is the cost because it costs twice what I thought it would. But $700 is still better than the $960 which was the original cost of going to Luang Prabhang, so I guess God has given me a discount :) I'm praying that the church will give some sort of subsidy... My second worry is where we will stay. The leader says - in a guesthouse - but I have no idea what that would be like. If it's rustic, that's ok, but will I have a hot shower & a decent bed? It seems so bratty to be thinking these things. Aren't I supposed to be focusing on the mission & not my bodily comfort? But gosh, will my achy back take it? I know one thing about myself - I can walk anywhere and do all sorts of sweaty, dirty things so long as I can come back to a hot shower and bed at the end of the day! Then, there is the food. I see from the websites that the Lao people eat sticky rice and fish as their staple food. Sticky rice I can handle. Fish???!! And then Angie mentioned, oh so casually, that many of the children have lice. At that point, I said, God, am I hearing You right? You sure I'm supposed to be going?

So my dears, pray for me. God has got to carry me through this one. And Rubhi, I'm SOOO glad you're coming. When I start crying, remind me that I WANTED to come, ok? :)


1 comment:

jennani said...

YAY LAOS!