Wednesday, January 11, 2012

My Watched-over Life

2012 has begun and we are already 10 days into the new year. I have not done my usual reflection of the past year and resolutions for the new year. It is a ritual that soothes me and gives me a semblance of control - sometimes I connect dots, sometimes perspectives shift, and almost always I am able to give thanks.

As I prayed on the eve of this new year, however, I was drawn to Psalm 121:

"I lift my eyes up to the hills -
Where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of heaven and earth.

He will not let your foot slip - 
he who watches over you will not slumber;
indeed, he who watches over Israel
will neither slumber or sleep.

The Lord watches over you - 
the Lord is your shade at your right hand;
the sun will not harm you by day
nor the moon by night.

The Lord will keep you from all harm -
he will watch over your life;
the Lord will watch over your coming and going
both now and forevermore."

And I am comforted by the phrase "the Lord watches over you".

I have read this psalm many times, especially when I travel, for I am comforted by the promise that God watches over my "coming and going". But somehow the declaration that God watches over my life struck me with a new excitement this new year's eve. That the God who is the creator of earth and heaven watches over my life assures me - that the dots will be connected; that there is a plan despite the haphazardness of my life; that despite my wilfulness, pettiness, fears and mistakes, my life, in the end, will not be a sorry tale. It will be a blessed 2012; as it was a blessed 2011.

No comments: