Sunday, July 24, 2011

Snails and Ketchup

On Friday I watched a physical theatre performance entitled 'Snails and Ketchup' by a hearing-impaired artiste Ramesh. It was a last minute plan hatched by Becky and me and I feel privileged to have watched it. I last watched Ramesh perform more than 10 years ago. But now, as then, I was struck most of all, by his humility, affability and sweet-naturedness that somehow transcended the physical space between the stage and reached the audience. He played 4 characters in a dysfunctional family and the way in which he portrayed the different characters was remarkable. Oh, I forget - he played 5 characters ... the snails too! 

One moment in particular was poignant for me. Married to an uncaring, harsh man, the mother copes by silencing her hurt and the hurts of her children. Ramesh conveyed this through miming her sewing up her lips. That's the moment that stayed with me.

No comments: