Friday, August 22, 2008

My Burnished Locks

Today I got highlights in my hair :) But it was a conservative attempt and I can hardly see the highlights myself! My hairdresser Sam has been egging me on for a few months now to "do something different". I think I curb his creative spirit. I used to have the same effect on my previous hairdresser, Alison, who would try to do different things like blowing my curls out straight and once she persuaded me to try what she called "a relaxant treatment" but she never had much success with my stubborn curls :)
Sam never even tried the route of making my curly hair straight. But after a year of cutting my hair, early this year he started his gentle persuasion - first to try a different hair colour, then to cut my hair even shorter and recently after R got her hair done, to put highlights in. But he hasn't had any success with me because I was terrified I would look really strange. I mean there are only so many things you can do when you are 50, you know ....
Today, he tried a more subtle psychological tack. He talked about how nice R's hair was, then he talked about how we had the same type of hair, then he praised me for being such a kind mother to encourage my girls to do their hair and then casually suggested maybe I should try it too and how he would only do a little bit, only at 10 places on my head and lo and behold, I was soon making agreeing noises... Sam is gooood :) Luckily, none of the other men in my life know how to do this.
So, the end of the story is, yes I got highlights, yes, I like it and no, I don't think anyone would notice. Hahahaha... Sam's parting words were -"So nice... Next time we will increase a leeeeetle bit, ok?"

No comments: