Sunday, March 23, 2008

Easter Weekend

I have had an eventful Easter weekend. Started with Maundy Thursday service in church - it was surely by grace alone that I did not fall asleep during the service because I was really tired and the speaker was ummmm... erudite. But Maunday Thursday service is always a poignant one and always makes me sad and I can't wait for the celebratory Easter service. Then there was Good Friday service on Friday morning and a major personal achievement this year was that I made it to the 7am Easter service this year! Applause applause! Been wanting to do that for so many years and I'm really glad I managed it this year much as the bed beckoned. And I must say it was wonderful to experience the promise of a new beginning right at the beginning of a new day rather than in the middle of the morning as I usually do. By grace of God, I will make it to dawn Easter service next year too!
And on Saturday, I went to the perfect wedding. I kid you not. You know how I have this thing about weddings. And as weddings go, I really must say this one was beautiful. Rachel, if you are reading this, may I just say to you, I pray that your marriage will be in every way as beautiful as your wedding was. The venue was the Barker Road Methodist Church and it was just the right size and the wedding decor was tasteful, the number of guests was just right for us all to take photos with the couple, the wdding invites and programmes were handmade, the photos were beautiful and captured the mood of the couple lovingly, the reception was lavish (great desserts and even ice-cream!), the music was appropriate... and when the couple finished their vows and walked out the door, the church bells pealed! Wow! I've never heard that before! But I'll tell you the best part for me - was the look on the groom's face as the bride walked in. In all the weddings I have attended, I have never seen a man look like that. He looked as if he was going to cry with happiness! As if this was the woman he had been waiting for all his life. Wow. I swear. I have never seen a man look like that except in the movies. And I knew for sure that my friend has got herself a gem when he started to sing for her and couldn't continue and broke down. Then the composure and dignity with which he collected himself... Rachel, my dear, for all your waiting and all your past hurts, God has surely blessed you with one waiting for.
So, here I am, on Sunday night, the long-awaited weekend over. I have bible study class for the next 2 nights and I haven't finished my homework so I should go and finish that now. As a good example to my children.
But I have been reading Ephesians (with the famous "Wives, submit to your husbands, as to the Lord" passage and my favourite "Children, obey your parents in the Lord for this is right" passage) and I have a sense that there has been a message for me this weekend from all the experiences and readings and sermons but I haven't been able to find a pattern. There is a vague sense of disquiet as if there is a Maths problem that I need to figure out, as if I have missed a clue that will reveal a direction or way to solve something. But I don't know what it is - I can't identify the problem and I don't know what it is that I need to solve. I think I just need to wait and let the pieces fall into place.

No comments: