Friday, June 22, 2007

Dinner @ Esmirada (my new fave restaurant)

Went out for dinner with friends from JI last night. I suggested Esmirada at Orchard Hotel because we had had such a good time the last time the office gang had dinner there. The food was as good as I remembered and the service as great. Mini, Mani & Rita confessed later that they had been worried about eating Greek food and were actually surveying the area for alternatives. Bad girls. But it was a fun evening - with much loud laughter as usual & choice lines delivered by Shamala. Such as when she declared "M trusts her husband with the maid more than with the children" when she meant to say "M trusts her husband with the children only when the maid is there too". Hilarious! And yes, Sham, I know you are reading this :)

We had nice waiters too. The one who waited on our table the last time seemed to studiously avoid our table - we think it was because R terrorised him by making him explain exactly how the DBS 1-for-1 deal works. Or maybe he was embarrassed remembering the last time he tried to help me get the grilled vegetables off the skewer and ended up with the veges all over the table :) Better him than me! - at least we got another free veg kebab. But the waiter we had last night was really nice. He came to tell us that he could hear us laughing even in the kitchen. Might be true because when I went to the loo, I could hear the others too. Oops. Hope they don't ban me from there - keep bringing rowdy friends who ruin the ambience. Rita helped to ensure I will be blacklisted by telling our waiter to remember my face. Thanks.

And oh this time we had great fun because the waiters smashed plates! It was great fun! At about 9pm they turned the music up and then brought out a stack of plates, asked all the customers to clap along while they smashed the plates. Then they gave out plates to the diners as well for us to smash. It was really funny to see how we all reacted. Rita refused to smash it and gave it to me. I threw one but the waiter said it was a bad job because it just broke in half & didn't smash into bits. Sham just said what a waste of money it was. :)

Anyway, I am glad we met up. It is getting more and more difficult to make time to do this, but I am glad we do. I would like to meet more often - not necessarily for dinner, even just a coffee - just to keep in touch at more regular intervals. But it is tiring organising these outings. Imagine we fixed this date a month ago - that's how complicated our schedules are. Then I keep wondering if it is inconvenient for the others & I must remember that 3 of the others have small kids at home. Maybe I should start a child-minding service that will ensure that children are kept engaged & looked after while their mums go out for dinner and have a life.
This one is for you Sham - and remember what I taught you abt leaving a comment :)

1 comment:

mss said...

Hi Vara
Your recollections are as hilarious as the moments themselves. Thanks for taking the time to write all this! It felt good reading this.

Not sure what made me type in your name into google this afternoon but I'm glad I did. I was wondering if you kept a blog and made your presence felt on WWW, you know. Well, your blog is terrific. It's really you!!!

I've just started a blog (during this March holidays). It's really an effort to put time aside to write something but I must. I'm inspired by yours :)