Monday, November 07, 2005

Happy Birthday to ME!

Hmmm... Somehow it was more exciting waiting for the birthday than having it. It turns out to be just another day like any other. Shouldn't it feel different in some way? Well, the only thing different is that a lot more people call than on any other day. I've had the mandatory cake - last night - and then calls from my daughter, my sisters, my niece, friends, ex-students... Then of course there are those who obviously forgot - the usual suspects who unfailingly forget (I know the call will come tomorrow) and a few unexpected ones. But otherwise, it was another working day.

I think it's only the very young and the very old who truly want to celebrate. The young because of the sheer excitement of being alive and the old out of sheer surprise :) We middle-aged ones - what does it matter .. 46, 47, 48, 49.. they all seem like the year before. In fact some years you have to count before you can tell your own age. Ha, ha.

OK all this sounds a lot more melancholic than I intended. No, I am not sad. Just pensive. Like wanting to take stock; weigh what matters and what doesn't. Judge the year and see what was important and what wasn't. Or maybe I should leave that for 31 Dec. Anyway, am off now - to dinner and I miss you sweetie. I wish you were here.

5 comments:

jennani said...

i wish i were there too. haha, uncle ganesh is one of those who consistently forgets right? and remembers in december or something. haha.

vara said...

Yes indeedy uncle ganesh forgot again. true to form. thanks to aunty pushpa he remembered on 8 nov last year but yes, usually it's dec when we go to kl :) my surprises were wai yin - who called at 10:00pm. but the biggest laugh was andrew chua who did a countdown from 1 nov to what he called 'varalackshmi hariharan day" and then forgot on the actual day and sent me an sms at 11:52pm :)Then there was siva who msgd me in the morning to moan about how he was really tense and anxious because his exams are on 9 nov and forgot it was my birthday. at first i thot he was teasing me but it turned out he really forgot. when i msgd him in the evening he was so devastated i felt really sorry i had teased him. Ha ha :)

Jen said...

Aiii, Happy Belated Birthday! Hee, neat...my friend has the same birthday as you. Anyway, I can't help but to thank you once again for helping. Pulling yourself together is harder than I thought. I'll get there soon though (I hope). Your words truly mean a lot to me. I hope you enjoyed your birthday. ^_^!

mun said...

Hi Aunty Vara! :) its so amazing cos i know a MOM who has a blog and best of all, a MOM who dedicates her blog to show God's love! amazing amazing amazing... grace! haha. sorry, just had to put that in.

indeed, happppy birthday, rather belated but i did the whole chorus with jen, so it DID count as a bday wish!

come visit us soon! we missssss you!

love lots!

jennani said...

update!